Sunday, July 29, 2018

Discovering History: The Battle of the Little Bighorn


I spent years transcribing and translating Indian languages. Because of that and because I lived most of my life in Arizona and for a lot of other reasons, I have read and studied a lot about Indians. I also have an extensive background in military history. For this reason, this one artifact has significant meaning to me. This is the Northern Tsitsistas (Cheyenne) Painting of the 1876 Battle of the Little Bighorn, This was probably painted in the 1890s and has become the most famous representation of the battle. It is on display in the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C. It is amazing to see the actual artifacts when you have read about and seen photos of the objects for most of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment