Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The end of time


When I first started taking photographs many, many years ago, I was fascinated with sunsets and I still am. I love the progression of colors as the sun approaches the horizon and then disappears. As I have said many times before, bad weather makes good photographs. Unfortunately, good sunsets do not necessarily make good photographs. Usually, the scale of the color changes in the sky require a really wide angle lens. If you try to take a panoramic photo without an exceptionally wide angle lens, the light can change significantly by the time you take enough exposures to make a good panorama. Also, the color you get from either negative film or with the newer digital cameras is never quite like the original sunset.

The standard sunset picture is a staple in almost any travel or landscape related publication. Most of my early attempts at sunset photography were a disaster. Since I did not take the photos with a tripod, they frequently were blurred and useless. The above picture is more recent. It was taken on the road from Fredonia, Arizona to Hurricane, Utah. Because of the heavy cloud cover, I was able to take a picture directly into the sun. Even so, the color in person was much more dramatic than that shown by the photo and you may have a number of other criticisms of the picture. 

 I took a series of sunset pictures just a short time ago and deleted almost all of them from my files. It is not easy to get a good picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment