Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pinnacles and spires




I could do a whole study of just rock pinnacles and spires in Arizona. Almost every little rock hill or mountain in the state has a section. Perhaps I will do a study, I don't have enough to do yet. The rocks in the picture above are near Oatman, Arizona. The town is named after two young girls that were kidnapped by the Yavapai Indians in the 1850s after the girls' family was killed except for one brother. Olive Oatman (see picture above) and her sister, were later traded to the Mohave Indians and Olive was finally released. Her sister Mary Ann died in captivity. In 1857, a pastor named Royal B. Stratton wrote a book about Olive and Mary Ann. The book sold 30,000 copies, a best-seller for that era. In November, 1865, Olive married John B. Fairchild. Though it was rumored that she died in an asylum in New York in 1877, she actually went to live with Fairchild in Sherman, Texas, where they adopted a baby girl, Mamie. Wikipedia.

Now, aren't rock spires interesting?

3 comments:

  1. Rock spires and pinnacles do seem rather interesting, especially if they have so much history behind it like the one mentioned in Oatman, Ariz. I have recently taken up hiking again and I would definitely be interested in going on more obscure hikes to see pinnacles.

    The past two weeks I have hiked Piestewa Peak and White Tank Mountain Regional Park, which both featured some interesting landscape and characteristics, but did not have any rock spires.

    Do you know about any hiking opportunities near the Phoenix area where I might be able to see something like what you have photographed above?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your entries from July of last year. I borrowed your shot of Lee's backbone and the crossing for a family history blog entry I was doing on Harriet Betsy Cook Teeples, who wrote about settling in Pima for a time. I gave you the credit and hyperlinked it to your blog. Hope you don't mind!
    Jackie Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!

    Actually I've read (skimmed) a history about her in the local paper. I didn't realize she had a rock-related-Arizona link! :)

    ReplyDelete