Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Ryder's House by Edward Hopper


There are certain artists, such as Edward Hopper and Maynard Dixon, who paint the way I take photographs. This painting in the Smithsonian American Art Museum was painted by Edward Hoppen in 1933. It is called "Ryder's House." If you were to go back through my photos on this website, you would see many photos that have similar themes, composition, and light as this photo. For example, my photo of the Government House in Annapolis, Maryland on May 14, 2018. The subject matter of my photos may not be on the East Coast, but my selection of views reflects the same type of emphasis on form and color. It is not that I am copying anyone, but I I do feel that my photos are in a particular genus of American art.

No comments:

Post a Comment