Friday, March 27, 2009

Death from snake bite

There are 17 different species or subspecies of the rattlesnakes in Arizona. There were 202 rattlesnake bites reported to the poison control center at the University of Arizona which serves all of Arizona, except Maricopa County during 2006. However, 50 to 70% of all snake bites reported were provoked by the person who was bitten. From 2002 to 2007, Arizona had about one snakebite fatality a year. For comparison, lightning killed 17 people in Arizona from 1990 to 2003, so you are in slightly more danger dying from lightning than from snake bite.

But to get a handle on reality, in 2007 alone, Arizona had 1,066 traffic fatalities. You are, at least, a thousand times more likely to die in a traffic accident than you are to get bitten by a rattler. In 2004, there were 9,710 deaths from cancer.

One morning, we were camping on Lake Powell, not strictly in Arizona, but the same kind of area, I got up early and walked up to a small hill outside of camp. As I looked back at the camp, with all of the campers in a pile of sleeping bags and equipment, I suddenly noticed a rattlesnake coiled up just out of the camp circle. Then I noticed another, within a few seconds I had spotted about twenty rattlesnakes coiled in early morning coolness, in a complete circle around the camp.

Before and since I have seen hundreds of rattlesnakes. My first one was just under the top of the Mogollon Rim above Boy Scout Camp Geronimo when I was about 13 years old. The last one I saw was next to the Salt River at Coons Bluff. Like the old saying goes, if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. The best defense against snake bite is vigilance, look where you step and look where you reach.

8 comments:

  1. What kind of story is THAT???! What happened after you counted 20 rattlesnakes around camp?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the campground surrounded, they all closed in at ate the campers. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. Must have been those reclusive Page Python-Rattlesnakes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to read your story. Sadly, I cant see the red print well enough. I hope you will consider changing it to Navy Blue or Dark Brown.

    But I did enjoy the StoryCorps. It is the first time I heard it. Nice touch. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the 7th of september while playing with my dogs in a mesa arizona off leash dog park my labrador was bitten by a diamond back rattle snake and later died, Peaple i have talked to think this may be a return of snakes being purposly being droped off in locations that snakes would not consider being their habitat. whats up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was bite in Arizona I will never go back

    ReplyDelete
  8. just never know moved here to AZ surprise im out in the desert here and did not see one in a year but early nov my sister came home from shopping and Had a western diamond back a foot out the front door on my sidewalk had to move him back out into the desert

    ReplyDelete