Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Hot Peppers


When I was young, my father rented out part of our land to a Spanish speaking family. They planted the parcel in chile peppers. I remember that the chile had matured and was ready to harvest. I had never seen or eaten chile before and I was curious about the long green fruit. My father suggested that I pick one and try eating it. Hmm. I do remember that it only took a few seconds for me to realize what a hot pepper or chile really was. It took me years before I experienced my second encounter with hot peppers, this time in the form of tamales at a Mexican food restaurant. I decided I did not like hot peppery food. Later in life, I came to love hot peppers and grew several varieties that I would eat raw on salads. Apparently, hot, spicy food is an acquired taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment