Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Please Stay on the Road


In the United States, common sense seems to have mostly evaporated. The current shut-down of the United States government is a good example. Because of the shut-down, theoretically, I could drive down this road and then drive off of the road with impunity because there would be no Federal agents to enforce the provision requesting that I stay on the road. But how stupid is that? I don't have to drive hundreds of miles into the desert to find a place to ruin the environment by driving off-road. I can do that quite comfortably closer to home. But should I do something just because there is no one around to prevent me from doing it? Unfortunately, from reading the news it would seem that this is what many people believe is how our country operates: if you can't get caught, you can do anything you want. What happened to decency and moral responsibility? Do we all want to live in a dump? Perhaps we need to realize that we create our own environment and begin by cleaning our own houses and treating "public" property with that same level of care and consideration.

By the way, you might have to click on this image and enlarge it to read the sign which says "Please stay on the road."

1 comment:

  1. Reading about the things happening in the non-staffed National Parks, I was thinking the same thing. - Alan

    ReplyDelete