Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Camelback at Sunset


I spent a greater part of my life living in and around Phoenix, Arizona. This photo has two Arizona icons, a shaded view of a saguaro cactus and the outline of the famous Camelback Mountain. We used to climb the cliffs that make up the head of the camel. We had to get up about 4:00 am and get to the cliffs in the dark. We would climb until about 10:00 am or so, when the rocks reached about 150 degrees and you had to wear gloves to climb because the rocks would burn your hands. When I lived in Mesa, I really couldn't see the mountain, but whenever I drove into Phoenix, which was frequently, there it was, looming on the edge of the city. I guess now, you would consider Camelback to be right in the middle of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment