Friday, May 27, 2011

You can never see too many butterflies






Like all of my photos, you can click on the image and get an enlarged view. This is a Julia Heliconian (Dryas iulia). The sole representative of its genus Dryas, it is native from Brazil to southern Texas and Florida, and in summer can sometimes be found as far north as eastern Nebraska. Over 15 subspecies have been described. There are 14 subspecies. See Wikipedia. Enjoy the butterflies from the Desert Botanical Gardens Exhibit the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. I love butterflies ever summer and I mean every summer I got to my front andbackyard catch butterflies and put them in my room and let them fly around I have flowers fruits and all this other butterfly foods and they love it I usually have about 35 in my room.I just wanted to share that.

    ReplyDelete