Thursday, November 25, 2010

Cotton in the raw

Once when I was standing in a grocery store checkout line, I had a younger girl behind me ask what it was that I was purchasing. The item happened to an artichoke. I reflected on the lack of connection with the real world among the young. Having gone to elementary school in Arizona, we were taught about cotton. But, I would assume, like the girl in the store, a picture of an actual cotton plant would be mostly unfamiliar to the vast majority of the American population. That is, of course, unless you were raised on a cotton farm. It is true that we, as a society, have become extremely disassociated with commodities and most raw materials. What is even more interesting is that cotton is an attractive plant with lovely yellow flowers.

I would suppose that I am attracted to basic materials because of my saturation with electronics and the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment