Sunday, September 5, 2010

An Arizona Icon


If during the formation of the various United States there had been a bidding system for natural attractions, surely the Grand Canyon would have brought top dollar. Despite its iconic attraction, it is really a remarkable place. Most of the development is concentrated in a very small area on the North Rim and a slightly larger area on the South Rim. Once you step onto a trail and drop below the Rim the real magnitude of the Canyon begins to impress your mind. I have to admit it, I love the Grand Canyon and I will use any excuse I can find to take a trip to either the North or South Rim. 

The above picture was taken during July, actually the day after the 4th. I have spent the 4th of July in Boston and that is great experience, but I would really have a hard time deciding if I would rather be in Massachusetts or Arizona, if the choice was to go to the Grand Canyon. This view of the Canyon is on the North Rim. Here is a National Park Service photo with a slightly larger angle view of the same part of the Canyon:

You might notice that my photo has more haze. This is due to a large forest fire that was burning on the Kaibab Plateau at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment