Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ant Hills


I am certain that ant hills or ant beds, whatever, exist for thousands of years. There is usually no reason for the ant colony to move out, so when an old queen ant dies, a new one moves in and the colony is renewed and continues in the same location. Obviously, I haven't been around for thousands of years to test my theory, but I remember a specific ant bed from when I was a child (almost 60 years ago) and the last time I checked (not too long ago, maybe a year or two) the ant bed was still there in the same location and going strong. 

So does anyone out there in the ant expert community agree with my theory? I suppose it is possible that no one else has stayed around an ant hill long enough to determine how long the use the same bed. But the ant hill in the picture above is ancient. 

I used to watch ants carefully for hours when I was young. When I finished watching the ants, I could still see them crawling with my eyes closed for hours. Occasionally, ants would bite one of our children. That was pretty terrible. I would get ant bites when I was pulling weeds in the garden. There would be nests of millions of little black ants that would come swarming out and bite me all over my hands and bare feet. 

We have had some ants in our house for years. We have fought back with every remedy known to mankind, but they seem to always come back. Right now, we have some tiny little ants that you can hardly see except as black specks. They are annoying because they will not give up and go away. I like ants a lot more than scorpions.

No comments:

Post a Comment