Saturday, May 22, 2010

Phoenix in the 1950s


This is an old photo of north Phoenix from the top of Squaw Peak (now Piestewa Peak) looking off to the west taken in the 1950s.


Here is a similar view, although a little more towards the south, taken in 2005. The top photo is very bad because of the low quality of the camera I had at the time. The main difference is how much the city has grown. In the 1950s we lived where I could ride my bike to the desert in about ten minutes. It was a good mile to mile and a half to get across the desert to the base of the mountain. There was no trail up the mountain to speak of compared to the later view showing the well developed trail.

I am not one of those who pine away for the " good old days." Although I enjoyed growing up in the smaller Phoenix, I do appreciate being able to go to Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment