Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus


The Arizona State bird is an active and very evident denizen of the lower deserts. I think it deserves the designation just because it can actually sit on the cactus plants without getting stabbed to death. If you have ever tried sitting on a cactus plant, and I know a few people who have, you would probably vote for Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus or the cactus wren as your state bird also.

The cactus wren is also the largest of the North American wrens. The bird eats insects, including ants, beetles, grasshoppers and wasps, which makes it my friend any day. By the way, if my name were Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus, I would probably change my name to cactus wren too.


1 comment:

  1. Do you know anyone who sat on a cacus on purpose?! :) I guess some of them do look soft and fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete