Saturday, May 2, 2009

Looking out on Arizona

From where I sit each day to work on my computer, I have the most wonderful view. I can see the sky and watch the clouds, the dust storms, the rain and the sun march across the windows. I can see birds in the grapefruit trees, doves, grackles, wrens humming birds, sparrows, a parade of birds. I can see flowers, lantana, roses, bougainvillea, cactus, petunias, oleander in a season changing array. I can see the wind, sweeping through the pine trees, bending the palm branches and rustling the spider webs. In the summer, I can see the heat in waves scorching off of the asphalt of the street. I can see people working in their yards, conducting yard sales, watering their plants, cutting their grass and shrubs. I can see into the heart of American life as lived in the desert southwest.

I can contrast the world I see through my computer screen with the world I see out my window. On my computer I can see all that is good and bad in the world and I can chose to ignore the bad and look only for the good. I can tell whether or not the news is right or wrong. I can check facts, investigate hunches, look for inconsitencies, read about the great and wonderful things we have in our world, the world beyond my window. And most important, I can share what I see out my window and on my computer screen with many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment