Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Self Portrait in the Sand


Walking around on the beach is an interesting activity. Because I usually end up climbing on rocks and walking on sharp shells and such, I am well equipped with shoes, but I also avoid the sun so I wear shirt, pants, and shoes. My regular trips to the dermatologist always remind me that the sun is nice but not my particular friend. This beach is a good representation of the world. My shadow will have just about as much effect on the beach as I will ultimately have on the world in general. I am often reminded of this when I read Jacob 7:26 in the Book of Mormon which refers to the transitory nature of our lives.
26 And it came to pass that I, Jacob, began to be old; and the record of this people being kept on the other plates of Nephi, wherefore, I conclude this record, declaring that I have written according to the best of my knowledge, by saying that the time passed away with us, and also our lives passed away like as it were unto us a dream, we being a lonesome and a solemn people, wanderers, cast out from Jerusalem, born in tribulation, in a wilderness, and hated of our brethren, which caused wars and contentions; wherefore, we did mourn out our days.
I am not mourning out my days, but the dream part certainly applies.

No comments:

Post a Comment