Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Trail to the Summit


This is the last ridge line portion of the trail to the summit of Humphrey's Peak in Northern Arizona. Humphreys is part of the peaks known as the San Francisco Peaks near Flagstaff. It is known as Aaloosaktukwi in Hopi and Dookʼoʼoosłííd in Navajo. It is 12,633 feet high, almost a thousand feet higher than Mount Timpanogos that I can see out my front room window. I have hiked to the top of Humphreys three times. The last time was the hardest when I discovered that I had a severe lung problem that was finally diagnosed as adult onset asthma. My asthma problem has mostly disappeared and I had no real trouble climbing Mount Timpanogos last summer except for falling twice. My mountain climbing days are probably coming to an end, but who knows, I may have a couple of high peaks left in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment