Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Old Barn


The tumble-down old barn is almost an American icon. I am aware of several within a few miles of my home in Utah Valley. But they are scattered across the entire country. When I was very young, we had an old barn out in the back part of our property. My father finally sold the entire structure to someone who arrived one day with jacks and huge timbers. They raised the whole structure off the ground and rolled it away on huge trailers. I don't know where the barn went, but I will always remember playing in its shady interior. It seems that many of these buildings finally outlast their utility and fall into disrepair. Apparently, the land they occupy is not valuable enough to act as an incentive to tear down the structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment