Sunday, May 10, 2015

Travels in Southern Utah


Breaking with a long tradition, I am posting a photograph showing me standing next to a huge petrified log at the Escalante Petrified Forest State Park. This log is one of thousands in the huge area on the side of a very steep hill. This photo does not show the beautiful colors of the petrified wood. I was amazed at the quantity of petrified wood (aka to mineral collectors as "wood") there was. My only other comparison was the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona. There are five photos in this post. Click on the photo of me to see the rest.


This next photo is at the Kodachrome Basin State Park. The tall pipe-line stone formations are a mystery. There are several theories about their formation, but none of them are very persuasive.


The high desert land is full of contrasts. Utah is undergoing a severe drought and will probably persist in a drought condition for the foreseeable future. This image reminds me that life in the desert is harsh and insecure.


This is the Shakespeare Arch. There are hundreds of rock arches, bridges and windows throughout the high Plateau (mostly over 5000 feet above sea level).


The land formations are a wonder and amazing. I love the contrast with the dark green of the Utah Junipers and the yellow of the few wildflowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment