Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mourning Dove


During my life, I have always been surrounded with the low, mournful cry of the mourning doves (Zenaida macroura). This is especially true during those times when we lived without air conditioning in Phoenix. In those days, the city was so much smaller and had so much less traffic, that the sounds of the desert were always around us. Now that we are sealed up in our air conditioning, I only hear the call of the doves when I happen to be outside. It is one of the most distinctive and recognizable sounds I can remember from my childhood, even before I could associate the sound with a specific type of bird. They are common throughout the entire continent of North America and into Central America except the far North of Canada and Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment