Friday, May 9, 2014

A Visit to the USS Arizona


In my walking around Arizona, I never dreamed that I would have a chance to visit the USS Arizona as it lies in Pearl Harbor on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. We learned about the sinking of Arizona's namesake ship in grade school, but seeing the place and standing in the Memorial and reading the names of those who died, brings a whole new level of understanding. The USS Arizona was sunk on 7 December 1941 with the loss of 1,177 of her crewmen. Many of those lost still remain entombed in the sunken ship. This is a particularly moving experience similar to the feelings I get when I view the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, D.C. even though I lived through the Vietnam War and was born only a few months before the end of World War II.

No comments:

Post a Comment