Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Globe Mallow -- Weed or Wildflower?

Where and how a plant grows determines to a large extent whether it is considered a wildflower or a weed. Globe mallow (Sphaeralcea ambigua) is a good example of the the weed vs. wildflower dilemma. It has beautiful apricot colored blossoms and grows in profusion in some of the driest and hottest parts of the desert. But it also grows in profusion in gardens and fields planted with crops. In my experience, it isn't one of the weeds I find hard to eliminate and I do enjoy the blossoms, even when they show up in my garden. I would put it in the wildflower category.

1 comment:

  1. Me too. In fact I don't consider there to be an "is a weed". To me a weed is determined by situation or circumstance, so any plant could be a weed and no plant is a weed in a purely natural wild environment it evolved in.

    In the high desert where I live in SE Arizona I consider humans to be invasive and my lawn to be the weeds. Globe mallow exists on my fence line as a wild native volunteer, and yes, I do find the blossoms quite attractive. I also notice that many species of wildlife do seem to appreciate its presence as food source or habitat.Being native it is adapted to the high desert and takes absolutely no care (though it does respond to water, fertilizer and weeding).

    ReplyDelete