Monday, March 5, 2012





Pony Express Trail, Edwards Creek Valley, Nevada, USA in Nevada


I have the tendency to travel places that are open, desert-looking and stop to look around where there is nothing in particular to see except the desert, the sky, the mountains, the grass, the historical sign, the sun and the wind. Discounting all that, most people would probably question why I was there. Sometimes, not often, I question why I am there. But then I make a connection with all of the above and the question is answered. I am there because it is me and this is the desert. Where else would I be?


The Pony Express Trail runs through Edwards Creek Valley in the western part of Nevada in Churchill County, one of the least populated parts of the whole continental U.S. The latest U.S. Census population figures for Churchill County were just over 24,000 people with a geographic area of 5,023 square miles, the county has 5 people per square mile. On April 3, 1860 the Leavenworth and Pike’s Peak Express Company, later named the Central Overland California and Pikes Peak Express Company started a mail service based on individual riders. The riders rode from one staged relay station to another, changing horses at each station and by trading riders, riding day and night across the country. The service only lasted until October of 1861 when it was replaced by the telegraph. In 1860, there were 157 Pony Express stations about 10 miles apart. This desolate part of the U.S. was one of the obstacles faced by the riders.

2 comments:

  1. I like the new template. Did you design it or was it an option with Blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new blog design is very cool.I love it.

    ReplyDelete