Sunday, January 1, 2012

Winter comes to the high country


I really have to think about Winter when it is almost 80 degrees here in Mesa on January 1st and the last time I wore a coat was late at night standing around watching fireworks. But the difference between our 1400 feet or so above sea level and 300 miles north and 7000 feet above sea level is dramatic. We can be basking in the warm sun while there is a blizzard going on at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Now I can tell you that when I took this picture, it was cold, really cold and the wind was blowing.  I just checked the weather and it is night time and 63 degrees in Mesa and 36 degrees at the Grand Canyon. The low tomorrow night will be 14 degrees. But, back here in the low desert, the low temperature will be 43 degrees. Our cold weather down here usually comes sometime in December. It is supposed to be 78 degrees tomorrow. I have had frost bite, chilblains, snow blindness, and a lot of other bad things, but I still don't mind cold weather at all. It might as well be below zero for all that I go outside anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment