Thursday, December 22, 2011

Reflections on Space


From time to time, I travel to the East Coast. While driving, I begin to notice a change about the middle of Texas. The land slowly transforms from its preoccupation with space to an emphasis on trees and limited horizons. There are relatively few places where you get an open view of the countryside. In the summer, you get glimpses of farms and cities. In the winter, you suddenly realize that there are houses and people on the other side of the trees. I certainly prefer the long view. I feel more at home, standing on a hill, looking out over the huge vistas of the West, than I do driving on narrow winding roads, closeted with trees. We recently climbed the highest hill in an Eastern County and guess what? Besides the radio tower and cell phone tower, you couldn't see anything but trees.

1 comment:

  1. I love the intrigue of winding roads and enjoy exploring the nooks and crannies of the Shendoah Valley yet I am likewise thrilled by the majesty of Bryce's hoodoos and the vista you describe of the Painted Desert and the Grand Canyon.

    You'd love the Washington coast with the contrasts between the Pacific Ocean views and the mighty cedars of the Olympic peninsula.

    It's an amazing world isn't it?

    ReplyDelete