Saturday, December 24, 2011

On Snow


Despite the many references to snow and cold weather associated with the Christmas season, I have lived most of my life in the desert Southwest and I have little or no association with Christmas and snow. When I lived in Argentina, Christmas came in the middle of the summer. In Panama, there is no "winter" or "summer" either for that matter. The few years I spent in colder climates do not leave me with any particular memories associating snow with Christmas. In fact, the average temperature this time of year in Bethlehem is only slightly cooler than her in Arizona (but a whole lot wetter). So the evergreen tree association just doesn't fit.

Winter in the Arizona Sonora Desert is a time to be outside, hiking, camping, biking, or just taking a walk. Some days the air is clear and cool and the days are bright and sunny and you realize the heat is the summer isn't all that bad of a trade off.

1 comment: