Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Needles in the Sierra


This shot taken from Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park has a huge back story. Much of of my life, for a time, was influenced by what went on hundreds of miles away in the Sierra canyons. For years I was a technical rock climber, before that became a competition sport and the in thing to do. We used pitons, carabiners and ropes to climb granite cliffs. I never did make it to California to climb but we used Lost Arrow pitons by Black Diamond. The Lost Arrow is a granite needle in the Yosemite Valley. This isn't the Lost Arrow, but the shot reminded me of many of my earlier experiences. Technically, Lost Arrow is classified as a detached pillar.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have a distinguished career. I can't imagine rock climbing.

    ReplyDelete