Monday, November 21, 2011

The Nauvoo Temple


The second temple built by the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was in Nauvoo, Illinois. The original temple was completed as the Saints were being driven out of Nauvoo by mobs to begin their exodus across the continent to the Salt Lake Valley. This current temple is a reconstruction of the original completed in 2002. I have visited Nauvoo, a small town on the Mississippi River in north-central Illinois, many times. Sometime I need to go there just to take pictures. Most of my pictures of Nauvoo tend to look more like snapshots. What is the difference between what I consider to be a photograph and a snapshot? It is mainly an issue of subject matter and composition. I can look at a hundred photos and maybe one or two will turn out to work as photographs. This is one of my favorite photos, taken on a hot sunny July day. Nauvoo is my favorite place in America outside of Arizona and Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment