Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Invasion of the Giant Okra


A short time ago I noticed a plant growing in our raised garden. It looked like some kind if squash and since it is still hot outside, I figured I would let it grow and see if we could finally get some squash. I am so busy that it was some time before I looked closely at the garden again. The plant had grown appreciably but now looked more like some kind of sunflower. I couldn't image how a sunflower got planted but I decided to let it grow and flower.

My next observation of the garden showed that that plant was almost five feet tall and still growing. The stem was about an inch thick. Finally a few days later, my wife came in one morning and said that the plant was growing chiles. I went out and there was a huge long pointed vegetable. It was definitely an okra. Now, there is a remote possibility that I somehow planted a sunflower seed. But there is no possibility that I planted an okra plant. Here are some pictures of our volunteer okra. We actually have two plants.



No comments:

Post a Comment