Friday, September 18, 2015

Egg Plant


I have never been quite sure why they call this vegetable an egg plant. The egg plant or Solanum melongena, is part of the nightshade species. It is actually an edible fruit. The common name changes in different parts of the world. Quoting from Wikipedia,
It is known in South Asia, Southeast Asia and South Africa as brinjal.[1][2][3][4]"Eggplant" is the common name in North American and Australian English but British English uses "aubergine".[5] Other common names aremelongene,[6] garden egg,[7] or guinea squash.[8]
This was not a food that I had regularly or ever when I was young. From the purple color and the name, few of my grandchildren would probably voluntarily eat it either. I first ate it from time to time in Argentina. It has since become a staple in one of my daughter's garden and we do eat it from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment