Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Touring Underground



Copper Queen Mine Entrance, Bisbee, Arizona in Arizona


We have been down to Bisbee several times to take the Queen Mine Tour. It is always an interesting experience. We generally go when we take someone who has never been before. Bisbee is almost on the border with Mexico. When you drive South out of town, you can see over into Mexico. The town itself is sort of quirky. Years ago it was full of older hippie types, but now it seems more focused on retirement. There used to be a huge selection of art cars. These have given way to tourists. It is still and interesting place to explore and go sight-seeing. Arizona does not have one big theme park. No Disneyland, no Sea World, no MGM Studios, but it has whole towns that are like amusement parks. Bisbee is one of them and you don't have to pay a huge fee to go into the town. Also, with any luck you can get out without spending a fortune also.

2 comments:

  1. I think you've put your finger on it when you say the charm of Arizona is in all of the wonderful little towns worth visiting. I went to Bisbee for the first time a couple of years ago, when I had just started back to college to study geology. I loved the place. We went in April, so the weather started out sunny, but when we emerged from the mine it was snowing. We were delighted in the way that only desert dwellers can be at the sight of snow. At one point during our trip, a wind kicked up, and I actually got a pebble blown up my nose. "Now I'm truly a geologist!" I declared. "I've been baptised." On the way home, we stopped and toured Kartchner Caverns. I never wanted that little vacation to end. So I can see why AZ is a perfect place to retire (for folks who like to wander around and see interesting things).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a few years since I've visited Bisbee, but it was a pleasantly memorable one. If you go there you MUST do the mine tour, it's truly amazing. But, make sure to wear a coat or heavy sweater, even during summertime.

    ReplyDelete