Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dramatic light


If you review a lot of landscape photography, you will quickly learn that one factor is the use of dramatic light. Most of the memorable shots come in the early morning or late in the evening when the lower sun brings out more of the reds and yellows. Midday sun usually results in harsh shadows and flat colors. Time constraints create windows of opportunity, but you need to be up early and stay late to get the best shots. As I walk along, where ever I happen to be, I automatically frame pictures in my mind. That is not to say that some of my pictures do not benefit from cropping, but I try to choose a well composed subject matter initially. Let the light draw your eye into the photo. See what is really there, not what you initially think is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment