Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Visit to Hawley Lake


There are a few well-known locations in Arizona that I have yet to see. But I have my list and keep checking off the places one by one. For some reason, I had never taken the drive out to Hawley Lake. Located on the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation, it is about an hour from Show Low. It is supposed to be the coldest spot in Arizona. The lowest temperature in Arizona, -40°, was recorded on January 7, 1971 at Hawley Lake. It wasn't very cold the day we went there, it was about 80 degrees. Arizona is certainly full of contrasts. The forest around Hawley Lake is some of the wettest part of the state also with ferns and lots of green. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you are tired of my photos) I did a lot of my traveling in Arizona before digital cameras. If I had to buy film, there wouldn't be nearly so many pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment