Saturday, June 11, 2011

An Interesting Comment on Commentators

There is no topic so innocuous that when you espouse your opinion, that someone will not take the opposite and call you stupid. This is especially true of comment to news articles, on talk radio and responses to blog posts. In a long ago post, I made the observation that it was unwise to try to survive in the desert by using barrel cactus for a water source. A commentator to my post, obviously much more experienced in his young life than I, expressed disdain that I did not endorse barrel cactus as a source for water. Having tried they personally, I was not writing from lack of experience. However, as is the rule, the commentator, because he disagreed with my post, immediately took the position that I was ignorant of the subject. His attack was not supported by any facts or authority other than his opinion. Somehow, he is entitled to his opinion, but I am not entitled to have one because (a) I can't write and (b) I am stupid.

Of course, he never got to my main objection to using cactus indiscriminately, that it damages the cactus and may kill a cactus hundreds of years old. This self-identified survivalist had no remorse about killing off cactus to illustrate his ability to "survive" out in the desert. I he is so experienced, why didn't he learn to carry enough water for an emergency or stay out of the desert altogether when it is too hot for safety. Perhaps, he hasn't noticed that barrel cactus are not all that common and you just might spend more energy and hydration trying to find one, than you would avoiding the activity altogether.

I am kind of sorry now I deleted the comment, mainly due to the poor grammar and misspelled words. It is always nice to be noticed. I did post a nice picture of the Grand Canyon, remember this is a photo blog after all. This shot looks right up Bright Angel Canyon towards the North Rim.

1 comment:

  1. You're being extremely polite, James. Let's face, the guy was a dweeb. Trying to get water out of a cactus is always a bad idea -- not all barrel cactuses are the same species, and some may have pulp that will cause vomiting. Plus it's very hard to cut into them, and you can end up sweating out more water in the process than you will manage to take in. And finally, the desert doesn't need more dweebs chopping up cacti because they didn't plan properly and bring enough water for emergencies.

    And thanks for the gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete